Domestic Violence Facts & Statistics
New Wheel of Power
Definition: Abuse can be defined as any systematic pattern of behavior employing various strategic tactics that use control to exert dominance over another being.
6 Types of Abuse include: physical, verbal/emotional, sexual, social, religious/ spiritual, and financial abuse.
Pyramid of Power
Abusers will use these 3 tactics or strategies to gain control.
1. Male privilege
2. Manipulating others
3. Using societal & cultural support
NEW Cycle of Violence with 5 stages!
- Stage 1- pressure builds & warning signs manifest
- Stage 2- unpreventable abusive incident
- Stae 3- critical stage where both abuser & victim deal with abusive incident differently (not included in the original cycle of violence)
- Stage 4- apologies build emotional attachment
- Stage 5- everyday routine resumes as if abusive incident never occurred